Friday, January 21, 2011

Pura Vida, Mae. . .

Hi friends and family:

I am writing this to share with you some of my adventures here. If you didn't know, I'm studying Spanish here in Heredia, Costa Rica for four months at the National University of Costa Rica (U.N.A.) and I'm living with a wonderful family.  I'm enrolled in Spanish Grammar, Conversation, Latin American Cuisine and Latin American Dances.

Some things that I've done so far:

1) La iglesia: I went to church with my family, my host uncle gave the sermon. It was really great. All of the worship is a capella. My host uncle and host parents were nice enough to explain the sermon to me after church. The main point in the sermon was that too often we look for the approval of people rather than God.

2) La escuela: I love my classes. My teacher for Spanish is wonderful and our class only has 11 students in it, which is really condusive for the nature of the course. We only speak in Spanish and I'm learning Spanish faster than I ever have before. I also have a conversation class. Each day, every student shares their "new word of the day", and we have to explain it in Spanish. And I cannot forget to mention how much fun I have in dancing and cuisine. We made empanadas. I can't wait to learn how to make more things and receive a book with the recipes. And dancing was a work out! Super sweaty after and super soar the next day. I'm hitting up some of the dance clubs next week for practice of course. I'm really excited to go to clubs with live bands.

3) I'm playing soccer every Wednesday. I don't need to say much more about that other than - I'm pretty out of shape, but excited for the opportunity to be competitive in soccer again.

4) My family is so wonderful. I am so blessed to be placed with them. They take good care of me and feed me such great dishes. My brothers both know English and try to practice some of it on me, but I respond in Spanish. My brain is going to get better at switching back and forth. And Paula has me read her stories which also helps me with my Spanish. 

5)  I don't really know why I'm listing things. Just felt the need to be organized. I've grown tired of writing, though. I am having an awesome time and can't wait to share with you more of the adventures I encounter in the next four months. I miss you! Thank you  for
To be continued:

1) Ziplines and crocadiles
2) Manuel San Antonio
3) Campamento con mi iglesia (Camp with my church)
4) More dancing
5) More food 


Here is my family:
Adonis y Paula (mis hermanos ticos)

Joshua (mi hermano tico)

Mi cuarto

El parque central

Noris y Roberto (mis padres ticos)




  

6 comments:

  1. Esta bien Erin! Glad to hear you are enjoying Costa Rica.

    Rick & Clover

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait for you to come back and cook me some of those yummy dishes! Your course sounds awesome. I wish I could be there learning all those things too. Have a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you're having a good time, Erin. I knew you would enjoy the food... Empanada's are my favorite! (and you like to list things because you're a Virgo! wink wink)
    Love you beautiful...
    Keep the updates coming!
    Aunt Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing, Erin! That sounds amazing! I have to say that empanadas are the best! I may have to take some cooking lessons from you when you return! :) I'm so glad to hear that you are having such a great time!!!

    Shelea

    ReplyDelete